Application Deadline: March 31st at 5:00pm
Printer Friendly Guidelines
The Miller-Lanier-Central Legacy began in 1913 when the co-ed Lanier High School opened on Forsyth Street in downtown Macon. In 1924, Sidney Lanier Senior High School for Boys was opened on Holt Avenue followed by A. L. Miller Senior High School for Girls in 1932 on Montpelier Avenue. Lanier boys forged a reputation of state-wide academic and athletic renown in a distinctive, mandatory Army JROTC environment. Miller’s young women learned in a unique, all female environment which many alumnae credit with one of a kind leadership training. After a tragic fire in 1967 and integration in 1970, Lanier and Miller became Central High School. Central maintains the “We Lead” traditions of Lanier and Miller through JROTC, comprehensive athletics and award winning International Baccalaureate and Fine Arts magnet programs.
In 2005, efforts to strengthen the ties between Miller, Lanier and Central alumni culminated with the creation of a scholarship fund to benefit Central graduates. The Class of 1959 raised more than $35,000 to seed the Miller-Lanier-Central Foundation Scholarship Fund at the Community Foundation of Central Georgia, with the goal of perpetuating the schools’ legacy through current Central students. Since that time, this scholarship fund has been supported by alumni from Miller, Lanier and Central across several decades. The scholarship fund is designed to produce annual scholarships for outstanding college-bound Central seniors. The scholarships will serve as a direct incentive for student achievement and will demonstrate the commitment of Miller, Lanier, and Central alumni and friends.
To help a graduating senior of Central High School in Macon, Georgia, by providing a college scholarship. Preference will be given to a student who may not be at the top of the class academically, but demonstrates school pride and is likely to succeed.
- Must be a graduating senior from Central High School, Macon, Georgia.
- Must be accepted at an accredited two or four-year college, university, or vocational school.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 to apply.
- Must exemplify Central's motto, "We Lead, It Can Be Done!" through their involvement at Central High School and their community.
Eligible applicants must complete the online scholarship application. On the last page, the applicant will select the Miller Lanier Central Scholarship Fund and complete the following additional information:
- A Short essay response describing your school pride for Central High School and how you demonstrate the school's motto - "We Lead. It Can Be Done."
- Attach one letter of recommendation from a Central High School Faculty member. The recommendation must describe the student's potential for success, ability to overcome adversity, moral character, and demonstration of the school's motto - "We Lead. It Can Be Done."
Scholarship Range: $500
Number of Awards: One per year
Renewal: Recipients are eligible to apply for renewal for $500 per year up to four years total.
March 31 at 5:00pm
Click here to view the Miller-Lanier-Central Foundation brochure.
Click here to make a contribution to the Miller-Lanier-Central Foundation Scholarship Fund.